I drink coffee and tea at work, and face a daily problem with sugar.
I have a cup, but no spoon ("There is no spoon!") , so stirring in the sugar is problematic at the best of times.
I tried to address this with the Tea Flake
but there is certain practical difficulties - not the least of which is using the communal pot of coffee...
Putting only a little coffee in with the sugar and swirling vigorously will work to some extent, but I am impatient.
Now if the the cup was properly designed, as the fluid is poured in, the flow could be 'turbulated'*
to maximize the dissolving rate. A lot of work has been done to minimize surface turbulence; I want the opposite.
At the very least, I think I kind of built in funnel would increase the fluid speed at the cup bottom, keeping the sugar grains tumbling in the flow until they are gone. If the bottom of the funnel is twisted to encourage a vortex, I suspect the grains would concentrate at the center of the tiny whirlpool, and merely increase the local sugar concentration would actually allowing mixing. Of course, if the vortex was sized right, the grains would dissolve locally, and then as the cup was filled, the vortex would collapse and the sugar solution would mix freely.
Of course, if the funnel was filled with the sugar and then the tea poured through, it might accomplish my desires without any vortex, even though everything is sexier with vortices.
I would post a picture to support this contention, but to the best of my knowledge, Angelica Bridges has never been photographed in a vortex, and even Leiticia Casta - despite being from Europe- has never been shot against the brooding waters of the Maelstrom.**


*'Turbulated'... I think I am only posting in order to invent new words.
** Which, of course, grumble over the bones of sad, fierce, brave Captain Nemo.

No comments:

Post a Comment