Final Data of XCORE's Ten Word Contest

Excel didn't want to plot a logarithmic graph with zeros in it, so the final graph isn't a log display.
It didn't make a big difference anyways, beyond hiding the one data point of a twenty three word submission(!).

Now a couple of interesting spikes appear at 7 and 13. I'm guessing that the 13 spike is due to the use of acronyms. The spike at seven is a little more baffling. I suspect that this form of  a sentence will settle around 7 tokens: Temporal designator, connector, adjective for subject, subject, connector, adjective for verb, verb.
I'm not a linguist, and not going to pretend to know the correct syntax.
Looking at the spike, my eyes keep wanting to fit it to a bell curve, which is totally wrong. There is nothing but integer data here, which is why I have no error bars.
I think I have enough material for a discussion on the effects of visual illusions on graphing and maps, but that will wait for another day. The contest is over and the Tiny Lab is going out for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment