Delving the abyssmal depths

  
"You do an Internet search for potential solutions, and
you’re confronted with a series of contradictory, ill-founded
opinions: your browser has a virus; your virus has a virus; you
should be using Emacs; you should be using vi, and this is why
your marriage is loveless."
-- James Mickens

There is nothing I can say that could improve on this quotation. Dipping into the Internet to find an answer is easy. Finding an answer of value is often not. In my case, usually not, but I am almost always thrashing around in the shallow parts of the Great Pool of Knowledge. I would like to say I am resigned to this. It appears that until I write one, there is no webpage of hacking into a pre-programmed ABOV µC.
Simple search strings fail, more complex searches fail; questions are twisted and distorted in hopes of provoking a lead, until the semantic striptease proves too exhausting to continue.
At some point, trying to tease an answer out of Google is harder than figuring it out myself.
Which makes me think of the critical point in a increasingly connected network just before all points become connected. I suspect that most human creativity comes out of the moments before the network fills, when you have almost enough information, when you are almost completely connected, and it falls upon you to make the final connections yourself, and answer the unanswered.

"That is the essence of science: ask an impertinent question, and you are on the way to a pertinent answer." -- Jacob Bronowski


...Sadly, this was almost attributed to Fox Mulder.
Of course, if I had found three hundred pages of ABOV µC hacks, with the microcontroller likes of Ben Heck or Datamancer leading the pack, how interesting would I find my own explorations?

No comments:

Post a Comment