Foremost amungst the Objects That I Should Possess (which includes such things as a 'Better Lathe' and a 'Quality Tap and Die Set') is a metal brake.
At least six times a year I need to bend up something from sheet metal, and at least half a dozen times I expend sweat, tears, and rages, on assemblages of 2x4 lumber and c-clamps. Today I needed - or rather, Liz needed - eight aluminium trays, each 10.5 inches by 22 inches, one inch deep and capable of stacking. I went for a primitive design, which works, but I am soundly disappointed by it. I merely folded the edges up by an inch, and folded them inwards slightly so that they reach the bottom of the tray above.

Perhaps - given a good brake, better quality aluminium ( I was using aluminium flashing from the local hardware store, tends to fatigue, quite soft) and a good edge rounder I could have eneded up with a better product. I don't know.
I was led astray by my minimalist desire to use a single sheet of aluminium for each tray without riveting anything on.
Instead, I need
A: some sort of positive locking together. I thought she'd need them solely inside a cooler, where the walls would keep the stack together, but she uses them in the fridge as well.
B: some sort of handle to make lifting them easier.
C: More stiffness and less flex.

I could use this as an excuse to build a brake this weekend. That would be a good excuse to break out the welder.

No comments:

Post a Comment