I pretended I knew nothing about Chemistry today ("Onion is an element?") to avoid holding a conversation with a co-worker.
It didn't help that Oanishment was sitting across from me, and she was playing dumb too.
Blanche was holding the lunchroom enthralled with her rant about a (failed(?)) job interview, complaining that the interviewer was "...some sorta foreign guy, which made it really hard to understand his questions...he was like a dominatrix, really pushy and nasty..."
"Dominator" I correct, without thinking. She stares at me, her mouth open to allow maximum airflow to cool her brain.
"Huh?" she says.
"Dominator" I say, testing the slippery slope, but unable to shut up, "A -trix termination means a woman."
She stares at me for a half second, and then completely ignores my statement. "he me how I would do titrate things, and I'm like, its all first year stuff and I can't remember any of it. He wanted me to tell him how to do it with volumetric, rather than molarity, and everyone at school said molarity was way easier!"
At this point she turns to Oanishment and says in complete sincerity, "I'm sorry, I geuss you can't understand all the technical stuff..."
It was hilarious to watch the best educated woman in the building - hard sciences at that! - to airily tell Blanche "Oh, I know nothing about that stuff...I can't understand a word you're saying." and then turns back to her sandwich.
We were careful not to look at each other lest we start laughing, and then Blanche would have killed us. Or at least tried. Or been really offended. Or perhaps have no idea what the joke was.

So am I to take it Blanche's interviewer was a cross dressing emigrant with an attitude and a black PVC bustier? Or am I to accept the fact that Blanche can't think without getting crosseyed and avoid getting into the conversation at all costs?


At least I wasn't alone in my misery, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment