My favorite watch is almost dead.
I wear a "SpongeBob Squarepants" watch, with reversible band. It has the advantage of a large simple display, which I find easy to read and the adjustment buttons guarded to prevent inadvertent adjustment of time.
I get a lot of sarcastic comments about it, which is usually amusing. Fashion is strict; big men are supposed to wear Big Watches. The basic formula is that a wristwatch must match the weight and diameter of your genitalia; its value is supposed to indicate your quanity of discretionary income.
I work hard, and I break wristwatches.
I am not going risk any significant money by strapping it to my wrist and waiting for the next blow to fall.
I have lost three to having their bands broken as the watch was torn from my wrist. I'm not going to get strong bands, either, or perhaps the watch won't get torn off, it'll be my hand that goes. I've lost two wristwatches to crushing damage, and at least five to water. (Yes, I know they say 'water resistant' or 'water proof to 30m', but that means nothing if the case is torqued or cracked first.)
'SpongeBob' cost me 2$ at the local Salvation Army and has survived eight months. The case has cracked across the back. If the watch is tapped, the display will go blank. By torqueing the case slightly, the display returns. Its not the battery connection thats broken, because the watch does not reset. In fact, I assumed to just kept running.
Not so.
I blanked the screen at 4:30 yesterday, redisplayed it at 5:45. It still read 4:30, and in the fullness of time continued to count off the passage of the Sands of Time.
Very very odd.
Is there a crack in the circuit board that is disconnecting the oscillator? I neglected to set it to the National Research Council's Official Time Signal ( "...after ten seconds silence the time will be two o clock Atlantic time...")
But it does seem to lose the occaisional minute, which is Not Supposed To Happen to a quartz watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment