Its a Bad Sign when...
A mouse crawls out from under the hood of the car you just barely convinced to start, and stands there as an animate hood ornament. It stood and stared at me for a few moments, and then climbed back under the hood.
Damned gremlins.
The car in question ( a 1987 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon) ran for twenty minutes longer, before dying with a horrid, terminal wheeze, a gasping rasp so pronounced that I am at a loss to understand what part could have generated it.
Perhaps the turbine's bearings?
Time for it to face the knacker; I've probably got six hours of parts stripping ahead of me.
Not that it really owned me anything. I paid 700$ at a junkyard for it five years ago, put another 700$ into it (mostly a new windsheild) and put 15,000 km on it. The odo stood at 386,000 when I bought it.Then when I replaced it with a marginaly newer car ( a 1990 Volvo 240 ), it still served faithfully for three years, hauling firewood every fall over old trails through the woods. Adventures included losing a muffler to an anthill (Thought it was a tuft of grass) and demonstrating that the bumpers can take a 30 kph collision into a large tree without body damage - a trick I wish my Dodge van could have emulated.
All things considered, it was the most comfortable car I've ever driven.

Rust In Pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment